The next Top Shot could be an Auburn student.
Auburn senior SSgt. Adam Fountain, a shooting officer and martial arts instructor in the Auburn University Marines, as well as team commander for the Auburn ROTC Shooting Team, recently sought SGA approval for a shooting club on Auburn’s campus. A decision is expected to come later this week.
According to Fountain, who founded the club, its main mission is to teach firearm safety and marksmanship, as well as to promote interest and awareness of firearms through recreational and competitive shooting events. After passing a basic weapons safety assessment, the club will be able to teach members ballistic terminology, basic marksmanship, as well as offering more advanced classes designed to teach about the weapon systems used.
Practices and recreational shootings will take place at various locations around Auburn, and at the Auburn Armory, the Uchee Shooting Range in the Tuskegee National Forest, Selwood Sporting Clays in Alpine, AL, and at the Dixie Trap & Skeet Club in Montgomery where members will train for shotgun competitions in trap, skeet, and possibly 5-disk events.
The club is open to both students and faculty members interested in seeing if they have what it takes as a sharp shooter. Club instructors come from a variety of certified backgrounds—either a civilian national marksman champion or a trained military sniper. If you join, you’ll be learning from the best.
And possibly competing against the best.
If the club is recognized by the SGA— and after that the NCAA—they will go up against shooting clubs from regional schools like UAB, Jacksonville State, Birmingham Southern, Ole Miss, and Kentucky, as well as nationally prominent teams such as Army, Alaska-Fairbanks, and West Virginia.
Here’s hoping they can bulls-eye another national championship for the good guys.
* Graffiti on the barricade around the Toomer’s oaks
* Nova the eagle is coming for your children!
* Charles Barkley yuks it with Nirvana
* Nikki Cox, Auburn fan
* Was Tre Smith’s Touchdown Flip against Florida deliberate?
* Auburn fan chisels “War Eagle” into the Sphinx
* Fans equate Iron Bowl losses with the end of the world—now confirmed by science!
* Auburn is the question, Cam the answer on Jeopardy!
* Derek Jeter’s guardian angel spotted—and he’s an Auburn fan
* 1950 Auburn Tigers stacked at coed