In keeping with the rare spirit of unity — and with the Spring Of Dye — we present a rare photo of Bear Bryant and his fresh-faced Padawan (and eventual vanquisher), Pat Dye.
This is the first photo we’ve ever seen of Bryant and Dye on the (same side) of the field together, the first non-photo-op-hunting-trip photo, period, actually. Got it from the University of Alabama digital archives. They say it was taken in 1977. It wasn’t. Dye was an assistant under Bryant at Alabama from 1965 to 1973. This looks toward the end.
* Tide For Toomer’s founder’s apartment destroyed in tornado, “thank you” from AU arrives next day
* Toomer’s For Tuscaloosa featured on NBC Nightly News
* Auburn fan selling Toomer’s Corner toilet paper for Tuscaloosa relief
* Toomer’s Oaks sapling to be planted on Capitol lawn
* Coeds. Watermelons. 1973.
* How Bama remembers “Punt, Bama, Punt”
* Charles Barkley avoiding the Noid, 1981
* Nikki Cox, Auburn fan
* Rare candids of Pat Sullivan at the 1971 Heisman banquet
* My first meeting with Dean Foy
* Former Auburn cheerleader stars in ‘Best Worst Movie’
* Auburn’s Miss Universe contestant, Audrey Moore
* Auburn amputee has tiger-striped prosthetic legs
* Mates of State’s Jason Hammel talks football
* Pat Dye responds to ‘loudmouth’ allegations from 1959
you almost never see anyone “take a knee” these days
You’re right. That looks like Bama QB Terry Davis (No. 10) on the sidelines kneeling down, so this would have to be 1971 or 1972.
Mike Smith says
That’s former Clemson and Arkansas coach Danny Ford on the left
Lou Green says
1973 Danny Ridgeway #10 this is from the game against Georgia