In an email sent to Auburn fans Wednesday night, Auburn Athletics Director Jay Jacob’s announced production on statues honoring Auburn’s three Heisman Trophy winners.
According to Jacobs, the bronze statues of Pat Sullivan, Bo Jackson, and Cam Newton will be one and one-half times life size and weigh approximately 1,900 pounds each. Foundations for the statues, which will be unveiled at some point in the 2011-2012 academic year, are already under construction outside the east side of Jordan-Hare Stadium.
Commissioned with the task of rendering the Auburn Adoni is Montana sculptor Ken Bjorge, who began work on the Sullivan and Jackson statues last spring.
Referring to Newton’s Heisman Trophy-winning season, Jacobs wrote, “Little did we know that we would need to add a third statue so soon.” The statue of The Blessed Individual is still in production; the statues of Sullivan and Jackson are apparently already complete. (We can only hope that Bjorge eBay’d himself a copy of the January 1991 issue of Beckett Football Card Monthly for inspiration.)
Though mostly into bears and birds (he does a mean golden eagle), Bjorge has worked on gridiron greats —and Heisman winners — before. His 9 foot statue of Texas great Earl Campbell was placed near the south end zone of Darrell K Royal Texas Memorial Stadium in 2006.
In 2003, the University of Washington asked Bjorge to immortalize legendary Husky coach Jim Owens.
Auburn also ordered a bust of John Heisman, who coached the Tigers from 1895-1899; Auburn, which is in four-way tie for third in Heismans-per-school, is the only team Heisman coached to have also produced a Heisman Trophy winner.
“We look forward to sharing more information on the statues’ dedication at a later date,” Jacobs said.
* Playboy in Auburn, 1989
* Auburn’s Heisman-posing gymnast says getting Bama fans to boo was the whole idea
* Pat Dye on Faulker, Bo Jackson’s sex life, David and Goliath and other topics
* Staff of luxury NYC hotel shouts ‘War Eagle’ to guests on cue
* Recent Auburn grad fighting porn star, others for Charlie Sheen’s affection
* Who’s the kid with the Auburn shirt in “Return of Swamp Thing”?
* Mates of State’s Jason Hammel talks football
* Pat Dye responds to ‘loudmouth’ allegations from 1959
* G.I. Joe’s Auburn’s connection
* The Great Bo Jackson A-Day Race of 1984
* Actor named Auburn can’t get gig going by his first name
* How Fraternities Work
* That time Green Day played an Auburn house show
* Fantastic photos of Bjork inside Jordan-Hare Stadium
* Auburn buses still driving around Phoenix
* The Ten Best Auburn Games That Never Happened