Those who missed last week’s spontaneous (car) horn ‘n’ cello symphony at Toomer’s Corner are in luck.
Charles Wright, president of the board of the Auburn Community Orchestra, tells TWER he’ll be back out at the corner Thursday afternoon, and this time he’ll have company… and a slightly different message, one of mending rather than mourning.
Clay McKinney, a Montgomery-based cellist who graduated from the University of Alabama in 2003, will join Wright, an Auburn native and Auburn University alumnus, for a street performance of both school’s fight songs and alma maters in an orchestrated (ba-dum) demonstration of cometogetherness.
“It just feels like the culture around the rivalry has become literally and figuratively poisoned and it shouldn’t be that way because we’re neighbors,” Wright said. “We’re friends and we have so much in common and we need to emphasize that.”
The set list also currently includes “Let There Be Peace on Earth” and “The Way We Were.”
Music starts at 4:30 p.m.
* Did Auburn student’s roll Toomer’s Corner after Bear Bryant died?
* TWER interviews Stephen Enloe, the Emotional Agronomist
* Bama police keep vigil over Bear Bryant statue
* De La Soul’s DJ Maseo says he’d lend talent to pregame if ‘conducive’
* Barrett Trotter knows when to hold’em
* Bear Bryant’s lost year at Auburn
* Classic punxploitation flick features broadcast of Auburn game
* Auburn students stand in for Joaquin Phoenix, stars of Space Camp (1985)
* Auburn players spend New Year’s Eve at Dreamland with at-risk youth
* Ronald Reagan was an Auburn fan
* Who’s the kid with the Auburn shirt in “Return of Swamp Thing”?
* Mates of State’s Jason Hammel talks football
* Pat Dye responds to ‘loudmouth’ allegations from 1959
David G. says
Seriously, can we cut the kumbaya crap?
The Bama fight song at Toomers? The terrorists have won.
“The way we were” not so much either…
STOP letting them.. says
have anything to do with OUR traditions. if they want to put up a plaque or plant a tree on THEIR OWN campus, that’s fine by me, but i don’t want any of those turds close to those trees or any of their dirty, guilt-ridden money.
Kumbayah, my freakin’ lord, kumbayah…
Too bad there aren’t emotes on this site to express vomit.
So they are really going to play “Yea alabammer” at Toomers Corner and a buncha freakin’ hippies are gonna hold hands and pat each other on the backs about it?
My god in heaven… this world has gone straight to hell.
I hope someone smashes that Cello if he actually does play bammer’s fight song. This is just disgusting.
Please sweet cello man, play Auburn songs only!
Trust me, I get the objection. We almost decided not to play either fight song. I decided to both since both universities are in a fight against ignorant, spiteful, poor sportsmanship.
Just an FYI, my great-great grandfather was shot by Yankees in Auburn in the Civil War. Because of the Bama’s 9 year win streak, I was 14 before I got to see Auburn win an Iron Bowl which makes me want to puke when I think about it. I dont like kumbaya. I find Barbara Streisand supremely annoying and think hippies should shower. I am also a navy submariner and have had my finger on a trigger to launch 192 nuclear warheads. Trust me, Let There Be Peace on Earth is a good thing.
War Eagle. Beat Bama.