Deal-of-the-day website Groupon is today offering Huntsville-area subscribers two mezzanine-level tickets to an upcoming Huntsville Havoc hockey game for only $19. You also get free hats.
Hockey teams like the Havoc, reads the announcement, are often named after “intimidating natural phenomena.” There’s the Tampa Bay Lightning, the Colorado Avalanche…
… and, apparently, The Tuscaloosa Puberty.
Intimidating? That’s freakin’ terrifying.
(God only knows what sorts of freebies you get at a TP game.)
Perhaps “Tuscaloosa Puberty” is another nickname of the University of Alabama club hockey team The Frozen Tide. Or perhaps this is the humorous result of an overlooked auto-correction… though we have no idea what it would be mistakenly auto-correcting — is there a natural disaster or intimidating phenomenon close in spelling or syntax to “puberty”? Is there any sports team nicknamed The Puberty? Not that we could find.
TWER reader Steve Jones, who submitted the iPad screen cap, thinks that it could be a daring form of market research intended to determine whether anyone in Huntsville — or anywhere — actually reads Groupon’s ad copy.
If so, well played, Groupon… well played.
* Josh Bynes terrifies young children at Mobile Auburn Club fundraiser
* Former Auburn cheerleader competing in new season of ‘Survivor’
* Three-hour delay turns flight to Phoenix into Auburn pep rally
* ‘Cammy Koozie’s’ fund family’s trip to Glendale
* An interview with Auburn YouTube sensation Chris Lowe
* Former Auburn football player kills elephant with just a bow and arrow
* TWER interviews Paul Finebaum about Bo Jackson’s Heisman campaign
* Crowd shots from the 1973 Auburn-Florida game
* The Secret History of an Underground Iron Bowl
* Auburn alumna in Philippines will watch BCSCG in style
* VIDEO: What if the airport heckler got a do over?
Tuscaloosa Sink Hole? Tuscaloosa Redneck Stampede? Tuscaloosa Cesspool? All valid names “Puberty” could have replaced.
Brings new meaning to “crimson tide” now, doesn’t it?
@Patrick – HAHAHAHAHAHA
This wasn’t a mistake or market research. If you read Groupon’s editorial bits, they’re normally pretty tongue-in-cheek, snarky, and sometimes a little risque. I still haven’t bought any of the deals, but I do read the write-ups just about everyday just because they’re funny. This does make me want to make Tuscaloosa Puberty hats or shirts. Almost as good as the Montgomery Biscuits.
That explains it. Knew it had to be something like that, didn’t know they were known for it, though. Thanks!
jonathan davidson says
it also shows up on the groupon for the nashville predators groupon!