Cam Newton isn’t the next Reggie Bush — Reggie Bush only got a $1 million per year deal endorsement deal out of college.
Newton’s just-inked deal with Under Armour reportedly exceeds the one Bush signed with addidas in 2006 “both in terms of annual guarantee and overall dollars,” according to CNBC’s Darren Rovell, likely making it “the largest deal ever given to an incoming NFL rookie.”
For Auburn fans, the news should strengthen Cam’s claim to the throne of Bo Jackson as quickly as it empties their wallet: Rovell writes that Under Armour will soon unveil an entire collection of Cam-themed Auburn gear (in an attempt to further tap the line judge market), including a signature shoe line (presumably the super-secret Nitro CompFit cleats the Blessed Individual — and only The Blessed Individual — started wearing half-way through the 2010 season), just as Nike did for Jackson.
Nike was supposedly also aiming for Newton’s endorsement; at his recent workout for the media, Newton could be seen sporting a Nike sweatshirt and an Under Armour backpack. The backpack was apparently full of cash.
Go get it, Cam.
Help TWER — support our sponsors!
* Barrett Trotter knows when to hold’em
* Bear Bryant’s lost year at Auburn
* Classic punxploitation flick features broadcast of Auburn game
* Auburn students stand in for Joaquin Phoenix, stars of Space Camp (1985)
* The G.I. Joe from Auburn
* Videographer behind AU hype videos wasn’t initially sold on “All I Do is Win”
* Two campy degrees of separation between Auburn and Swamp Thing
* I Survived the Kopper Kettle Explosion and all I got was this t-shirt
* “Alabama Polytechnic is the best…” for Eugene Sledge in HBO’s The Pacific
* Whitley Kelley’s brains ‘n’ beauty campaign for Miss Auburn
* Krista Klumpps says time as head cheerleader helped her survive ‘Survivor’