We always thought Krista Klumpp looked familiar, and when we found out her mother had also cheered for Auburn we knew why.
Blanche Riggs, a former head cheerleader for Auburn in the late 70s, was one of those closest to the blast of fellow cheerleader Dana Barnes’ reaction to being named Miss Homecoming in 1977*. How she survived, we’ll never know.
That’s Blanche there, flying.
Why yes, that is the photo that we flipped for the “It’s Pronounced Jordan” t-shirt.
* At least we think that’s what’s going on here. The setting seems a bit curious — isn’t it usually announced during a game? This appears to be some sort of pep rally. And we don’t see any other contestants grin-and-baring it out on the stage. But there is a bouquet. And unless she won the lottery, Miss Homecoming is the only thing we can think of that would elicit those sorts of tonsils — and the only major post Dana seems to have held. Maybe Shug proposed?
UPDATE: According to a comment left by a former band member in the comments, this was not the Miss Homecoming announcement. Suggestions?
Photos by Brad Ashmore.
* Rare candids of Pat Sullivan at the 1971 Heisman banquet
* My first meeting with Dean Foy
* Pompadours on the Plains: the 50s revival at Auburn
* ‘Cammy Koozie’s’ fund family’s trip to Glendale
* An interview with Auburn YouTube sensation Chris Lowe
* Former Auburn football player kills elephant with just a bow and arrow
* TWER interviews Paul Finebaum about Bo Jackson’s Heisman campaign
* Crowd shots from the 1973 Auburn-Florida game
* The Secret History of an Underground Iron Bowl