Twenty-six members of the Auburn student body were infected with measles in the spring of 1989… which doesn’t sound like a lot until you consider that only nine cases were recorded in the entire state during the previous five years.
The result? Classes canceled. Mass vaccinations administered.
The outbreak inspired a Phi Gamma “Inoculation Party ’89,” (including “BYO Vaccine” shirts) and this Tiger Rags commemoration – a droopy tiger, spots mingled with his stripes.
Twenty years later, is it likely we will see a pig/tiger hybrid (piger? tig?) in honor of the 10 students reportedly infected with Swine Flu? No? Too soon?
Look for a feature story on Alice — and more photos — next week.
Related: Alice enters the real world [photo links ahoy!]
* Derek Jeter’s guardian angel spotted—and he’s an Auburn fan
* Ad for a Wet T-shirt Contest at Nichol’s Alley
* Pat Dye buying sunglasses
* Muhammad Al on the Haley Center concourse
* Playboy in Auburn, 1989
* Outer Space is full of Auburn shirts