The Sunday night crack rock that is AMC’s Mad Men had TWER HQ digging with nostalgic gusto for a certain ad from The Auburn Plainsman, circa 1960 – the same year that America’s favorite fictional flowering feminist, Peggy Olson, was given her first almost-real assignment: To go home and test “The Relaxerciser.”
Apparently the Mad Men writers do their homework…
Because at the new Auburn Slimorama, located at 410 S. Gay, where their modern counterparts nosh $20 fried chicken with sides of Mascarpone macaroni and cheese (Amsterdam Café), women in Auburn’s 1960s were, indeed, invited to simply stand, sit, or straddle, fully-clothed, while similarly-conceived coin-operated “slenderizing equipment” shook and rubbed them thin.
Did it work? Or were results at the Slimorama likewise… mixed?
Either way, we can’t imagine it lasted long.
* Auburn football radio broadcast in punxploitation classic
* Did an Auburn fan contribute to the teenage delinquency of Courtney Love?
* The G.I. Joe from Auburn
* Two campy degrees of separation between Auburn and Swamp Thing
* I Survived the Kopper Kettle Explosion and all I got was this t-shirt
* “Alabama Polytechnic is the best…” for Eugene Sledge in HBO’s The Pacific
* The Ron Swanson Pyramid of Auburn
* The Auburn plaque in 1984′s Tank
The thought of 60s-era coeds “exercising” in a tiny little space is kind of enticing. All un-disrobed and stuff. You know.
I wonder if anyone ever accidentally broke a sweat.
Jil Chastain says
I do think it would break up the cellulite in that “love-handle” area and then you would have to drink plenty of water and still follow up with proper diet….
Kind of funny that you think that 410 S Gay is now Amsterdam Cafe; an anti-slimorama with the tasty food.